Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Bacon, Egg, & Cheese Biscuit Casserole

So rarely do I ever get to watch TV during the day. My toddler normally has the TV monopolized when it is on :) However a few weeks ago I did get a chance to watch an episode of the The Chew. I happened to tune it towards the end of this recipe but it hit a sweet spot with me. Now who doesn't love breakfast for dinner? This seemed like such a Home Run for my family! After looking over the recipe a little I decided to tweek it to make it simpler and less time consuming. I also took out the chives just because I honestly didn't think it needed the extra. My family absolutely loved it (and so did my MOPS group!).  (You can find the original recipe here.)

Bacon, Egg, & Cheese Biscuit Casserole
  • 1 pound bacon (cooked and chopped)
  • 1 package Grands Biscuits
  • 6 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cup milk
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (grated)

The recipe is for a 9"x13" pan. However, this time around I was just making it for my family of 4 for dinner so I halved the recipe and made it in a 8x8 pan. (The ingredients listed above are for the full recipe.)

 
First, you make the biscuits according to the directions on the package. I sprinkled some shredded cheddar cheese on top of mine because I love me some cheese!   


Once the biscuits are done you can let them cool and move on to the bacon. I make my bacon in the oven which cuts down on mess. That & no matter how hard I try I simply can NOT make bacon in a skillet. . . To make bacon in the oven line a cookie sheet with either aluminum foil or parchment paper and bake it at 400 degrees for 15-18 mins. I ended up making a full pound and am glad I did because I ended up burning 1/2 of it. (See I told you can't cook bacon. . .somethings just elude me. . .)


Once the bacon is cooled, chop it up. 


Now you're ready to start assembling your casserole!
Start by slicing your biscuits in 1/2. 


Then layer the bottom 1/2 of the biscuits in the bottom of your buttered casserole dish.


Next, sprinkle all of your chopped up bacon and shredded cheese over the biscuits.


And finish off the layer with the tops off the biscuits.


Next, you're going to whisk your eggs, milk, salt & pepper together and pour it over the entire casserole. 


Cover the dish and let it sit in the fridge for about a 1/2 hour to let the juices really soak in :)
Then cook it covered at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes are until the eggs are set. (I spaced the cooking it covered part so mine got a little crisp on top. . . But oh so yummy!!)




 Bonus - if you make it for dinner and have left overs you have breakfast the next morning! Score!

No comments:

Post a Comment