Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Advent Days 3 & 4

Day 3 - Watch a Christmas Movie

Today I took a mommy shortcut. Every day in the afternoon we have "rest time." During this time the girls are required to lay down with no talking and watch a movie. If they fall asleep GREAT if not, they at least get a break (and who am I kidding? so do I!). Earlier in the day we went to the library and rented a couple fun Christmas movies for the girls. They got to watch one of these movies during rest time. 5 minutes before bedtime I realized I hadn't done the advent activity so we flipped the card and read that we were supposed to watch a Christmas movie. So I turned to the girls and said "We got to watch a Christmas movie earlier today didn't we?" Worked for them, worked for me, activity short cut complete! (For those curious we watched The Care Bears: The Great Giving Holiday and the girls loved it.)


Day 4 - Make Gifts for Teachers

Today we made gifts to give to the volunteers that work with my girls in their Moppets program while I'm at MOPS every other Thursday. We started with the intention of making enough for all their Sunday School volunteers, gymnastics teachers, etc. However two minutes into the project Mommy realized there was no way their attention would last that long. So we stuck with the 8 Moppets volunteers and we will work on more another day. 

I got the idea for these Hot Chocolate Reindeer from Pinterest. Here is a link to the original tutorial.

 We started with our supplies: piping bags, hot chocolate mix, mini marshmallows, mini chocolate chips, googly eyes, red pompoms, brown pipe cleaners, and rubber bands.


 We put the hot chocolate mix in a piping bag then closed it off with a rubber band and trimmed the end. Then we placed that bag inside another piping bag and added mini chocolate chips, and mini marshmallows. I think this was the girls' favorite part (plus they may have snuck a few chocolate chips and marshmallows :).


 Then we were ready to add the eyes, antlers, and noses. At this point Lia had lost interest completely (well except for eating the marshmallows). So Sophie helped Mommy place the nose and eyes on with glue dots and bend the pipe cleaners into antler formation.

I hope the Moppets volunteers enjoy our little reindeer when we deliver them tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment