Monday, May 14, 2012

Wedding Card Box

This week is WEDDING WEEK! My little sister is getting married Saturday! It's just crazy to think that just the other day we were little kiddos playing together and now we have families of our own! I'm so happy for my sister and her fiance and have been doing what I can to help with their big day!

A few weeks ago I was asked to handle the card box for the reception. Figure out what to do and get it there basically. So I went to work on Pinterest (have I mentioned before how much I LOVE Pinterest) doing some research on some card boxes b/c I couldn't just do something boring :) I found the idea of using a mailbox as a card box. Now I know this isn't any new idea but I figured I would give it my own twist. I didn't use any of the decorating ideas I came across so I figured I would share what I did :)

I started with a black steel mailbox that I found on craigslist for $5 (score!).
Not this exact one but one pretty similar :)
I took this sucker and sanded it down 'till I was breathing steel dust (ok maybe not that much but I did sand it all down :) ). Once I was done sanding I spray painted. It obviously took a few coats since I started with black and spray painted it white and of course didn't take the advice of my husband and spend $$ on primer . . .

I painted the flag silver since my embellishments were going to be silver.


I got my spray paint from Hobby Lobby. I used the Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Gloss paint and it worked fine for what I needed.

Once the mailbox was finally dry I brought it inside and got busy decorating. I had borrowed my friend's Cricut for a different project I was working on and decided I'd attempt to use it to decorate this mailbox. So I went out and found some silver self-adhesive vinyl and got to work :) I used 2 cartridges to do my designs. One for the grass and one for the letters. I used the Plantin Schoolbook cartridge for the grass and the George & Basic Shapes cartridge for the lettering
.


At this point it was just a matter of cutting the decorations out and sticking them on the mailbox. I was very happy with the way it turned out!





No comments:

Post a Comment